A PORT Fairy man has pleaded guilty to manslaughter following the death of his partner last year.
Nanjing Night Net

Police charged Justin Gary Turner, 31, with Kylie Cay’s murder after she died in the days following a brutal assault on June 18.

Police allege Ms Cay was attacked with a hammer, stomped on and dragged around by her hair.

Turner appeared in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court on Friday.

An Office of Public Prosecutions solicitor said the case had been resolved, with Turner willing to plead guilty to manslaughter and the murder charge was to be withdrawn.

The prosecution then dropped the charges of murder, recklessly causing serious injury, recklessly causing injury, assault with a weapon and unlawful assault.

There remains some issues around a charge of breaching an intervention order and legal discussions are continuing.

Turner confirmed he would enter a guilty plea to manslaughter and the case has been adjourned to a directions hearing in the Victorian Supreme Court on February 3.

Turner has also admitted breaching a community corrections order and is expected to be resentenced on those original charges on February 6.

The court heard Turner was jailed for three months in September 2015 after assaulting his mother. On his release from prison, he was serving a 15-month community corrections order with the condition he comp;ete 100 hours of community work and assessment, treatment and programs for alcohol issues.

Turner appeared in the Warrnambool court on Friday via a video link from with prison, where he remains in custody. There was no application for bail.

Victoria Police homicide squad detectives have investigated whether or not the injuries that hospitalised Ms Cay, a mother-of-three, caused her death.

Turner allegedly attacked the 44-year-old on the night of Saturday, June 18.

Ms Cay was admitted to the Port Fairy hospital, which sparked police involvement, before she was transferred to the Warrnambool Base Hospital for treatment.

It is understood she checked herself out of hospital, against medical advice, and returned home on Monday, June 20.

A spokeswoman for the hospital would not comment, given that the case was before the courts.

Members of Ms Cay’s family found her body on the afternoon of Wednesday, June 22 two days after she had returned home.

At a previous court hearing, police said Ms Cay had suffered two fractured right ribs, a broken shoulder and bruising to her face and the top of her feet.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

  • Posted on 20. September 2019
  • Written by admin
  • Categories: 南京夜网
Comments Off on Port Fairy man pleads guilty to manslaughter

Comments are closed.